Puma Deviate Nitro 2 Review: Testing the Elite Performance Running Shoe


Puma is back again in 2023, and I had the opportunity to test the Puma Deviate Nitro 2. Let me tell you, it's a shoe to watch out for.

Firstly, the shoe has a high stack height of 38mm for the heel and 30mm for the forefoot, which is quite zesty. The weight of the shoe is not too bad, although it could be a little lighter, coming in at 8.5 ounces in my size. The upper is made of an engineered mesh with power tape reinforcement, which helps with the construction of the shoe. However, I did notice a little scrunching at the bottom of the eyelet chain, but it's not too concerning.

The shoe has a semi-gusset for the tongue, which is padded to help the laces lock into the shoe. The Keel counter is not overly plush, but it's still comfortable. When I tested the shoe, I was surprised by how much it flexed, even though it's a neutral shoe. The semi-gusset tongue also helped with keeping my foot locked in place.


The midsole is made of Nitro Elite foam and a power plate underneath, which performed well when I ran 10 miles at 6:20 per mile. The power plate is exposed in the outsole, which I found to be flexible and gave me some energy return. I was pleased with the performance of the midsole, and I predict that it will be durable in the long run.

Speaking of durability, the outsole of the Puma Deviate Nitro 2 is where the shoe really shines. It has Puma Grip technology, and it's not overly rigid, which is perfect for people who are worried about plates in a trainer shoe. The outsole has only about 2 millimeters of rubber, but it's not completely covered, which is a good thing. It's also holding up well after 50 miles of testing.


Fit and comfort were standard across the board, and I didn't experience any issues in those areas. The shoe is tough, but I'm going to say that the durability is the most positive thing about it. It's a shoe that I can see myself using as a daily trainer or for tempo days.

Overall, the Puma Deviate Nitro 2 is a solid shoe, and I can see why so many runners are switching over to Puma from other brands. Puma is making inroads in many different arenas, including their elites running lineup. I'm excited to see what else Puma has in store for us in the new year, especially in the trail options department. If you're looking for a durable and comfortable trainer shoe, then the Puma Deviate Nitro 2 is definitely worth checking out.



Post a Comment

0 Comments